Sunday, February 17, 2013

Arena Food

This winter I have spent the best part of every Sunday afternoon and evening in the local arena for my children's hockey games. Their games happen to fall over the supper hour and my oldest two girls are timekeepers and are often there from 12:30 until 7pm.

This means that they eat snacks and one meal at the arena each week. I have tried to get them to take meals from home but the novelty to eat out has won plus because they are time keeping they make money and enjoy buying something for themselves.

My problem with it is, at our local arena there isn't any healthy options for them. The menu consists of hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, chips, chocolate bars, candy, cookies, pop, gatorade and hot chocolate....all the junk food children love to eat!! I know these items sell but I just wish there were other healthy options too. Some fresh fruit, yogurt alone would be awesome. Call me an idealist!!! go ahead.

I on the other hand packed my snacks and would eat supper either after the games or do a quick run home between games, I think it was only twice that I have bought a 'treat' while there. Two times out of 4 months isn't bad!

Today's Food Journal

  • Hard boiled egg and 4 watermelon slices.
  • Apple with peanut butter.
  • Whole wheat wrap with hummus and vegetables just like yesterday.
  • Greek yogurt, blueberries and a drizzle of maple syrup.
  • Spaghetti with meat sauce and salad with ranch dressing.
Finally day of regular season hockey for us, play offs start on Tuesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment